I have to apologize in advance because I don't have any pictures of this recipe right now
(because someone, a-hem, forgot to take them!!!).
(...ok it was me...)
So let's just dive right in!
This recipe needs just six simple ingredients:
- Turnips - 3 lbs, peeled & cut into sticks the size of homemade french fries (about 1/3" wide x 3" long)
- (turnips that are more than 3-inches in diameter tend to get too fibrous for this recipe; so be sure to buy turnips less than 3-inches around!)
- Vegetable Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Grated Parmesan Cheese - 2/3 cup
- (fresh is best! ...if you have the time, I mean.)
- Garlic Salt - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Onion Powder - 2 tsp
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with aluminum foil & coat lightly with oil (I like to use coconut oil here, just rubbed on using a paper towel, because coconut oil is simply wonderful, isn't it?)
2. Place oil & turnips in a large bowl & toss to coat. Next, add parmesan & the spices to a large, resealable bag & mix well. Add the turnips to the bag & give it all a shake until the turnips are evenly covered with spices. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheets.
3. Bake in upper & lower thirds of oven until crisp on the outside & tender on the inside (usually around 30 minutes, but everyone's oven is different!).
In each 3/4 cup serving, these have only 100 calories, 5.5g fat, 3.5g protein, 10g carbs, 3g fiber, 390mg sodium & 5.8mg cholesterol.
Turnips have less starch than potatoes, which is one of the reasons they are a much better carb, but this also means that your fries won't be exactly as "crispy" as potato fries.
BUT THEY ARE FREAKING DELICIOUS SO SIT DOWN & EAT YOUR FRIES!