Friday, January 4, 2013

Meal Prep Tips & Healthy Habits to Remember

Hello & Happy New Year, everyone! 
I have GREAT news! I am feeling much better finally & coming back!
What a long trip this has been but it has really taught me to be thankful for my health. 

To start the new year, I shared some pictures of food that fits in any healthy meal plan in the post

Here are some tips to remember with your food prep.


BEWARE OF PORTION SIZES!

Here is a picture of a typical chicken breast:

This is also what people think of as an appropriate serving or portion of chicken breast;
BUT IT IS NOT!


Here is a picture of an ACTUAL serving or portion of chicken:
An appropriate portion of meat is the same size as your palm & as thick as a deck of cards.
No pesky weighing is necessary!

Here is the same portion with a serving suggestion:

Make several portions & season with different salt-free seasonings. 
Here I used different McCormick & Mrs. Dash seasonings to cook several portions in one dish at once:


Buy vegetables in bulk, wash, & store for easy access for snacking &/or meal prep:

 Fresh fruit is always a beautiful (& edible) centerpiece!
It's also a good way to get kids to watch your healthy habits & help themselves to do the same.



- Baking Bread -
Baking bread is SO easy! 

Here I had done it by hand:


I LOVE MY BREAD MACHINE!
Check back soon for simple recipes, techniques, & equipment in an upcoming post.
You still make everything from scratch, but the machine does the 
kneading, rising, & baking for you all in one place. 
It allows me to bake my own bread EVERY OTHER DAY without spending all day doing it.
Here is a machine baked loaf:

Making your own pasta is also SO easy! 
Check back soon for simple recipes, techniques, & equipment in an upcoming post.

Here is my first attempt at fettuccine!
On the drying rack, looking delicious!

I immediately made my first dish with leftover Christmas turkey:

Turkey Fettuccine Primavera

Always, ALWAYS make too much!
That way you have extras lying around for busy nights.

I hope this helps makes your healthy living easier!

In good health & with much love & consideration,
~ Natalie "FNT!" ~