Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Anti-Process Series: Quick & Easy Homemade Pizza Crust

REMEMBER: Anything that you make at home yourself is better than even the "healthiest" (processed) alternative at the store. KNOW YOUR FOOD! BE AWARE!

Let's make one thing clear... 
This is not a post for anything to be eaten on a detox or when you're trying to drop weight at a healthy, yet quick, rate. This is a recipe for once you have begun maintaining your healthy lifestyle. This is not fat-free, low-carb or any of that. It's pizza crust - so take it for what it is; but it is a healthier alternative to frozen pizzas, pre-made brands of pizza crust, or even processed dough you can buy at the store. 
The best part is that KIDS LOVE IT! Child obesity is a major issue in this country & actually grabbing whole ingredients & cooking fresh, delicious food for them is the best way to help fight the obesity epidemic.

Lecture is over. You get it. 

Cooking from scratch does not have to be difficult or time-consuming. It can even be fun! Make this dough & then set out a line-up of healthy, tasty toppings for a fun family 
"Make-Your-Own-Pizza Night!"


On with the recipe!!!!
Combine in a mixing bowl:
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp (or 1 .25-oz package) yeast (dry active or quick rising)
1 tsp sugar
Whisk the first three ingredients together & then wait a minute.
While you are waiting, preheat the oven to 450 degrees & get out the next ingredients, which are:
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil

Add the ingredients to the bowl & fold until you have a dough ball.

Let the dough rest 5 minutes. If you wait less, it's no big deal. If you wait longer, you get slightly lighter dough & what seems like more of it. I never give myself enough time to wait any longer, haha.



I always use this amount of dough to make 2 pizzas; so I cut the dough in half & throw a ball onto a floured surface. Start pressing & making flat. A rolling pin always does the trick for me. Sometimes I hold it up & let gravity stretch it a little, too. I also like to pretend I am a pizza tosser & try to figure that out; but I who am I kidding??? Hahaha


I lay foil on a round pizza pan to save my oven from messes. I spray it with cooking spray like Pam.
PUT THE PIZZA ON IT'S COOKING PAN/STONE/ETC 
BEFORE YOU ADD THE TOPPINGS! 
Raw dough is almost impossible to move once it is topped.


SIDE NOTE:
I buy blocks of cheese, shred them in my food processor, & store in labeled bags. Economically-minded people suggest that this saves you money... it technically does, but it's really not a significant amount & also not why I do it. Cheese isn't natural, it is one of the most highly processed foods we eat; so buying it shredded, wrapped in serving size plastic packages, etc only worsens an already sticky situation. This is the same reason that I don't buy bags of salad, baby carrots, or any other prepped fruits or vegetables - they are void of vitamins & minerals by the time they get to your mouth!


Add sauce & then cheese & toppings. 
***If you are watching caloric intake, measure, measure, measure!***


Cheese for my son - jalapeno & pineapple for me! This has always been my favorite pizza... 
It's delicious, you should try it!

Bake for 10 minutes or less - you will know it's done because the cheese will bubble.


The smell of delicious, hot pizza brought a little on-looker. 
The best part of this picture is that he was not wearing any pants! 


Store leftovers in the refrigerator - or freezer if you won't use it in the next couple of days.


YUM!

Along with the fitness & weight loss info, I am trying to include more nutritional recipes for basic healthy living. I hope that you enjoy the recipes & please let me know how your creations turn out! I always see the amount of traffic on my site & where it comes from, but I would love to hear more feedback!

More Yummy Pizza Pictures:




In Good Health & With Much Love
~Natalie *FNT*~